Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Dog Sitting and Canine Frenemies

Beginning this evening, I will be dog sitting my dear canine pal Emma (tall, lanky, doberman-like beast, pictured right) and Bailey and I are eagerly anticipating our time with her! Notice I did not include Zoe in that statement of anticipation. Emma loves Zoe, but Zoe does not like Emma. In fact, Zoe REALLY does not like Emma. I don't blame Emma for Zoe's aversion - I think it is a dominance/size issue - completely understandable since Zoe is a mere 7.5 lbs to Emma's 75+lbs. Nevertheless, as previously stated, Bailey and I ADORE Emma.

I suppose I shouldn't find their encounters so humorous, but it is very difficult to keep a straight face when viewing a "meeting" between Zoe and Emma. Imagine this: tiny dog skitters across the floor; house-dog (Emma), keenly aware of fresh blood (and tail) in her territory is beckoned to high alert. Emma easily closes in on the scent and corners tiny dog, who finds no escape other than to frantically chest-bump herself against her parent (me) in an attempt to escape fierce doberman-like lanky beast known as Emma. Really it is pathetic and I should be flogged for finding the humor in it that I do, but I can't help it. Perhaps knowing that Emma is a tall, lanky, doberman-like beast with whom I would trust my life makes all the difference.

No comments: