Thursday, September 25, 2008

Quick and easy pawdicure

Zoe's claws have always been outrageously long, and I have a hard time trimming them because (a) like most dogs, she hates it; (b) her feet are so tiny that they are hard to grip comfortably and securely; and (c) her claws are black, so I have no hint as to where the quick is, and that makes me more hesitant to clip off enough to make the ordeal worth it.

Unfortunately, I have not been successful at teaching her not to jump excitedly all over me every time I return from even the briefest of absences. If I'm wearing pants this isn't such a problem, but if any leg is exposed, I end up with angry red scratches all up and down my legs. Even my niece Abby knows that she should be wearing pants if Zoe is coming to visit!

So my friend Kathy bought a Pedi Paws Pet Nail Trimmer and let me borrow it for a test run. I know they're only $20 each (and at BB&Beyond you can use a coupon for 20% off) but I didn't want to buy one if Zoe won't let me near her with it. Bailey files his own nails on the pavement, so he is a self-pawdicuring dog.

Kathy was nervous about me trying it without the instructions, but her worries were unfounded. I wouldn't say Zoe enjoyed the process, but she didn't cry or squirm too much and the little nail trimmer safely and efficiently trimmed down and smoothed her nails beautifully! I will definitely be purchasing one of these babies for myself. Thanks Kathy!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

May be Zoe can teach Bianca how to be submissive to it. She's got talons!

samantha said...

My cousin has one of these and LOVES it. Definitely worth $20 according to her!!!

Jane said...

I often think that the products advertised on infomercials are absolutely worthless, but I must say that even my vet thinks this tool is useful and worthwhile. My dog is extremely skittish when it comes to his toenails. This is entirely my fault since I over aggressively attempted to trim them on a certain occasion and nipped the quick. Henry was so freaked and there was blood everywhere. Toenails were off limits until I was introduced to this tool. It saved my floors, literally, from being horribly clawed and scratched. Spend the $20!