Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Zoe: Tiny Guardian

My Zoe is an angelic, wee puppy-like girl who brings joy to my every moment in life. Since the first day I brought her home she has been by my side, always right under my feet. She's an alarm clock and a security system, a companion and a guardian.

I suppose I should clarify that all of the aforementioned qualities are those Zoe possesses when she is with me, and ONLY me. What I mean is that when I have guests Zoe is a demonic, disillusioned (thinks she's 10 times bigger than she actually is) little girl who becomes the bane of my existence. Case in point, my old friend Jill came over last night to go to dinner. As expected (much to my chagrin) Zoe treated her like an intruder who had come to kill me.

Thankfully, and as on most occasions, she relents after 20 minutes or so, or at least until the visitor rises to leave. It's like Zoe has a motion sensor. Any slight movement (even mine) triggers her panic reflex. In fact, last weekend I made the mistake of suddenly grabbing her to give her a love pat, and having awoken her from a snooze, she reacted with obvious alarm, distress and aggression. No, she didn't bite me - hasn't ever tried - but she let me know she was not happy with me.

Despite the annoyances of her over-protective tendencies, I must admit that I do feel safer with Zoe in the house. Bailey is worthless when it comes to being a guard dog (he'd befriend ANYONE willing to pet him), so "guard duty" is entirely Zoe's domain, and one in which she is relentless! When I go outside without her, she jumps up into one of the window sills and keeps both eyes on me until I re-enter the house. Even if she's in the deepest sleep in her plush dog bed, if I get up and go downstairs for a glass of water, she is not far behind me.

The following quote is perfect:

"My little dog, a heartbeat at my feet." -Edith Wharton

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I have had the....er....hmmm...."privilege(?)" to meet this adorable little "Todo" look-alike dog and let me tell you this.....Tracey is her Dorothy! She's a beast of a little girl when you try to come within feet of Tracey, let alone inches. She's so camouflaged by her adorable, fluffy, miniature exterior because when your natural reaction is to pet her and think of her as some adorable pet, her immediate reaction is not to snuggle or roll over for a belly rub - she turns into the she-Devil and lunges for your jugular (and I don't mean figuratively). It's apparent that her ONLY wish in life is to please and love Tracey unconditionally. See...what Tracey failed to tell you is that she rescued Zoe from the obvious abuse that no animal should have suffered in the past. While those of us who are lucky enough to have Tracey as a friend know....it's probably not going to be a two-for-one friendship with Zoe as the freebie!!!

samantha said...

Zoe is a cutie and she obviously LOVES you! Funny that the little ones are often the snippiest. Kathy is right - she does look a bit like Toto!

Jane said...

Terriers are TOP NOTCH!