Monday, September 22, 2008

Paper (n)or Plastic?


I am just as guilty as the next shopper for not always remembering my own bags, but I do really wish that more people would adopt the message on my World Market bag that states, “Paper NOR Plastic.” Even more so, I wish that baggers at stores didn’t feel the need to double or triple-bag anything that weighs over 3 lbs.

In my mind, the problem with plastic bags isn’t rooted in their composition. Plastic bags have become an ecological nightmare because they are used in alarming excess (as noted above regarding double and triple-baggers) and although they’re recyclable, I would guess that maybe 1 in 10 plastic bags gets recycled. Maybe even less than that.

I’d like to note that with the exception of Target bags (they fit my bathroom garbage cans perfectly) I am a very dedicated recycler of plastic bags. In fact, on any given day one might find a dozen or so in the back of my car, awaiting my next trip to the grocery store. And as for the aforementioned Target bags, I try to limit my disposal of them by consolidating trash and only tossing those that are overflowing or exceptionally dirty!

I’ve recently made a concerted effort to keep at least one reusable bag in my car for unexpected shopping trips, but on the occasions that I forget, there are a few stores that sell very reasonably priced bags on-site.

Whole Foods sells wonderful sturdy bags made out of recycled plastic bottles. These handy bags are fabulous because they are large, shaped like a traditional paper bag, the handles are strong and they sell for 99 cents! I also like the messages printed on my bag. You can read the front message in the photo, but the side panel reads, “Every plastic bag can take 1000 years to degrade.” My hope is that when these bags are used, the messages will encourage others to adopt the practice of shopping with reusable bags.

The smaller green bag in my photo is from Harris Teeter and is actually a wine carrier. It is made of 100% non woven polypropylene, divided into six sections to keep bottles from clinking together and they are FREE! Of course they can be used for more than wine, but the sections prevent them from being used for items wider than a typical wine bottle.

The cotton bag is from World Market, and the message on it is my favorite! Although this bag is the priciest of those pictured ($2.99), it is probably the sturdiest and can be thrown into the washing machine for cleaning. Anyway, $2.99 is a small price to pay for helping to keep our planet a little greener.

Weaver Street Market also sells canvas bags, and I swear the cashiers there are the most talented baggers ever. I know that sounds silly, but those people can safely pack more items into a bag than any person I’ve ever seen, and no, they are not slow at doing it. WSM must make all of their employees complete some kind of detailed training course in bagging. I wish they’d train those who work at Kroger and Harris Teeter!

So, in closing I’d like to hear from the very few people who read this blog.

1. Do you own at least one reusable shopping bag?

2. If so, how often do you use it instead of plastic or paper bags?

3. What prevents you from using reusable bags instead of plastic or paper?

4. What (if anything) would encourage you to shop with reusable bags more often?

4 comments:

Jeni said...

1. Yes I have 4 large ones and one smaller one I use.

2. At the grocery store, I'd say I use them 85% of the time. Sometimes we're in the husbands car and do a quick trip and he doesn't have the bags.

3. Unexpected trips to the grocery store or trips to other types of stores (home depot, bed bath and beyond, clothing stores, etc.)

4. If they didn't provide bags at all or if they gave a credit for using your own bags, I think I'd be better at it. I still try to regardless though!

teg said...

Whole Foods DOES give you credit for using your own bags :)

Kathy said...

1. I have 8 recycled bags - thanks to my Mother-in-Law and Trade Joe's cool styles.

2. I use one of them at least every week. Kind of sad since I usually stop somewhere each day to get SOMETHING we need.

3. Short term memory prevents me from using them. They are in my car at all times. Out of sight, unfortunately, out of mind for me most of the time.

4. Remembering!!!! Aldi sells bags or you can use your own. That's the place that you have to use a quarter to "use" their shopping cart - but you get that back when you return it too. So I guess you are just borrowing.

samantha said...

Yes, I am an avid, "reuser." I have about a dozen canvas bags that I've been using for a couple of years now. I cannot remember the last time I brought something home in a plastic bag! I keep at least 4 in my car at all times. I do think that others would be more likely to follow suit if more stores offered a credit (even if it is miniscule) to those who bring their own bags. Keep up the green work!