Sunday, September 14, 2008

Weekend Party on Sherwood Avenue

I traveled to Charlotte on Friday to spend the weekend with my old roommate and long-lost friend, Kile. She and her family live (only for a few more weeks!) in a lovely home on Sherwood Avenue. The family includes Kile; husband Brent; nearly 4-year-old beauty, Charlotte; 14-month-old cutie-pie Max; old girl Esther (Yellow Lab); wildman Golden Retriever, Charlie; and old girl Kitty, the crazy cat.

The weekend was incredibly perfect - tons of fun, lots of catching up, and reunions with other old friends. On Friday night, we managed to get Kile's mom Cissy to come over with her two dogs, Inca (Chow) and Taos (Samoyed), pictured below. Inca has been around since before Kile and I met, and Taos entered the picture in the late 90s.




I hadn't seen Kile and crew for about eight years, but we easily fell into our old banter, all the while filling in the gaps of the past several years. Below we have Max, an amazingly photogenic cherub who instantly stole my heart. I could spend an entire day just watching him toddle around the house, always in search of unattended food and other stray items.


Next we have the lovely Kile and the angel Charlotte


Charlotte is a great kid - very curious and alert - and I swear one day Kile and Brent are going to make a fortune by somehow bottling the color of her gorgeous hair.

Saturday we spent part of the day recuperating from Friday's night of indulgence and late night chatter. Later that afternoon I got to visit the house that Kile and Brent just purchased (on that very day) and into which they will soon be moving. The house is incredible, and even Max and Charlotte appeared to be ecstatic about the new digs. In the back yard there is a "play house" - meaning a truly mini house that has electricity, tables and chairs, and a loft complete with a nook for sleeping. When Charlotte saw it, she walked over to it and said, "I love it, I hug it" and wrapped her arms as best she could around the door. It was hotter than blue blazes in that little house, but we still had to practically drag her out of it when it was time to go back to the house on Sherwood.

Saturday night, Brent and Kile graciously agreed to host another little reunion with my old friend Cristy and her family. Cristy is a high school friend who I haven't seen since the mid-90s. She and her family don't live far from Kile, so they came over to Sherwood for dinner and some catching up. Cristy's family includes Cristy; husband Will; soccer star Masun; and sweetheart newborn William (pictured below with Cristy, followed by a photo of Cristy and Masun).



Kile's cousin Bennett and his wife also joined us. They absolutely adored Zoe, probably because they have a tiny dog of their own. While Zoe didn't draw any blood over the weekend, she managed to get in a few attempted nips. Thank heavens none of them resulted in disaster.

I was so bummed when I got home and realized I didn't get a single photo of me with Kile! But I did get a pic taken with Cristy, who appears to be exceptionally tall...it is a deceptive photo :)



Today we lost track of time while combing the city for gas, perusing photos from the last several years and laying around watching Bambi and Peter Pan with Charlotte. After some traffic delays and minor auto trouble I finally made it home, only to realize I already miss everyone!

No comments: