Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sleuthing with Emma

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I am dogsitting Emma until the middle of next week. Bailey, Zoe and I arrived last night to something a little strange - a wide-opened front door. It was after dark and the porch lights weren't on so I couldn't see the door lock, but when I fumbled around with the key, the door just pushed opened on it's own - it wasn't even latched!

After I thanked God that Emma was still in the house, it didn't take me long to freak out. (I should mention here that Kerry's neighborhood has had a few break-ins recently). Not only is Kerry's house huge, but as I mentioned earlier, at the time it was also very dark...and quiet. I could hear my heart beating. That's when I realized that despite how scared I was, I was going to have to search the whole house before I could settle down.

Emma and I surreptitiously crept through the entire house, every room and closet, with both a 10lb handweight and a mini maglite in my hands. We thankfully found nothing, and the fact that Emma didn't seem anxious put my mind somewhat at ease. I'm hoping that Felton somehow opened the door just before they left for the beach and Kerry didn't notice. It remains a mystery at this point.

Emma and Bailey slept at the foot of my bed last night. I will make sure they do so again tonight, and I may even leave the bathroom light on!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

LOL I had a scare by myself one night while Mark was gone training. It's amazing how riled up the psyche can get you and how hard it is to calm down after you're scared like that!

SMA said...

I'm glad everything was a ok. I once came home after going somewhere with Louise to find that I had not only left the door wide open, but the screen door cranked all of the way open and propped that way. But, I was pleased to fnd that not only did no people find their way in, but no critters seemed to find their way in either.