Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sunday at Reynolda Village

Sunday brunch at the original Village Tavern in Reynolda Village is a Glazener tradition, one that we've kept up since I moved back to NC in 2003. Last weekend's visit did not disappoint. The food is consistently wonderful and so is the service. The waitstaff aims to please! For example, Abby quickly developed an intense love of black olives as a toddler, so we would always request a ramekin (which soon became a bowl) of olives for her. We often had the same server wait on us and she came to know Abby as "the little olive girl."

It's an open setting at VT, so it's kid-friendly and the quaint atmosphere is lovely. While not as necessary now that Abby has reached the mature age of 7 (HA!) we often entertain the child by distracting her with random photo ops, as evidenced below.



This distraction is so easy, as Abby is a fabulous "sharer," so once her photo is taken with someone she has to get a photo taken with everyone else. My favorite on this Sunday is her pic with Fuzzpa.



After brunch, we always visit Reynolda Gardens, a short walk from Village Tavern. Maria snapped this photo of Abby and Wolfgang at the gazebo along the way. Check out the size of those elephant ears!


From there, it's straight to the fish pond. We've always called it that even though there hasn't been fish in it for years, but there are often water lilies and lily pads.



On most occasions we take a group photo, too, but I was happy to avoid that on this particular Sunday. Wolfgang did not allow me my requisite amount of sleep the night before, and the evidence was etched across my face. The copper plate below is from the front of the bench on which we've taken many group photos. I'd never even read it before, but on Sunday it caught my eye and I loved the inscription.



The photo that follows is taken on the other side of the garden, facing the bench, which is under a little shelter. I took this picture because I liked the way the large plants kind of framed the view of the bench from afar. I know it's not a great photo (I don't have the greatest camera or photography skills), but I like the view!



On our way out, Fuzzpa spotted a frog in one of the fountains and scooped it up so Abby could check him out. Abby loves bugs, reptiles, spiders and all other creatures, and she's not afraid to get up close and personal! Below, you'll find Abby holding her new little friend in her hand.

4 comments:

SMA said...

Great photos!
And Abby's b-day party sounded like fun. What a great idea.

Jane said...

Abby is a cutie! She looks a bit like you :)
If she likes frogs and such, she must also be a bit of a tomboy like you!

teg said...

I can't take credit for the water lily photo. That one was Maria's, or maybe even Abby's! Maria's camera is far more sophisticated than mine.

Hint to immediate family members: I wouldn't mind an upgrade for Christmas!!!

matt said...

Abby is GORGEOUS! Seriously, supermodel in the making, without a doubt. When she makes it HUGE please throw me some scraps.