Sunday, September 21, 2008

Tar Heels fall to the Hokies

I really hated typing that. Even more so after having to endure the Virginia Tech fans screaming, “Let’s go” (pause) “HOKIES!” at the back of my head as I exited Kenan stadium. I could go into a tirade about how I think the referees were full of hallucinogens for the extent of the game, but that would be pointless. The game is over.

On to more pleasant things:

We were excited to see Taylor in attendance, as she and Abby became fast friends last year. Taylor’s family and friends have tickets for the seats behind us again this season. While l admit I don’t even know their first names, I can say those guys are TRUE Tar Heels and genuinely friendly. The two guys who usually sit directly behind us are hilarious and they love Abby. Actually, they’re often teasing her, but it is all in fun. They are among the loudest fans in our section, but they are pretty good about keeping their exclamations PG-rated. However, I do recall an occasion last season when quite a few expletives slipped, but in his defense, he covered Abby’s ears with his hands before shouting them. Of course she could hear him, but I suppose it’s the thought that counts!

I had the chance to meet up with an old friend, Josh, at half-time. He has season tickets, but he doesn't get to come to all the games so we've only seen each other there twice. Now that I know exactly where his seats are, I hope to run into him more often! (I really hope that doesn't make me sound like a stalker).

Last night’s game was frustrating, so expletives were expected. This was the second time in the last five years the Tar Heels lost to Virginia Tech at home by a field goal. It didn’t help that T.J. Yates sprained his ankle during the third quarter. (I really hope he’s back for the next game!) It really didn’t help that the Heels were penalized for 121 yards.

I thought I might not be as annoyed today as I was last night. I was wrong.

The Heels travel to Miami next week for a 12 pm kick-off. A couple of photos from last night’s game are posted below. The first is of Taylor and Abby, followed by one of Abby and me, with bro in the background.


1 comment:

samantha said...

Indeed, that penalty-riddled game was painful to watch!