Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My dad: through the younger years

These photos are of my dad, at several different stages in his life. I received them from his oldest sister just after the new year. Since I can't describe them myself, I'll have to rely on her words.

Photo 1: July 1950: On the back of this picture Big Mama had written: "Kendall Glazener, age 7-1/2 years, July 1950." He is standing in front of Mama's hydrangea bush, with the smoke house in the background. Kendall is wearing Big Daddy's hat and rubber boots, and carrying his lantern. Every time we would go home when Kendall was little, he and Big Daddy would "hide" before we left, as if Kendall were going to stay with them.

My aunt described this photo as among her favorites of her little brother. I'd have to agree!


Photo 2: An elementary school photo - Paulette wasn't sure what year - but I'd guess he's around eight-years-old?



Photo 3: Another photo where the age is unknown, but my best guess is what we'd now call "middle-school."


Photo 4: College or end of high school, again not sure. Before I took a good look at this photo, I always thought that Todd resembled mom and I resembled dad. No longer. I've really started to wonder if my parents brought home the wrong child! (Not really, due to several personality traits I share very closely with dad).



While it's not the best photo for comparison, if you look at the photo below and the last one of my dad, it is easy to see the striking similarities between them. The ears, the nose, even the similarity of their head shape. While my dad's and my eyes are almost identical in shade, I don't think that Todd nor I have eyes shaped like dad's. I think that's a shame because I'd have to say my dad definitely had some "come hither" eyes!



Side note: I like seeing photos of my dad when he was younger because his face has been almost entirely covered by a full beard and moustache for as long as I can remember. It's nice to see the face hiding under all that hair!

3 comments:

Jane said...

Wow - so cute - and I still think you look like your dad...and your brother.

Wishing you look like your mom is understandable - she is gorgeous. But then so are you :)

matt said...

You do look like your dad. And you're better looking than your brother.

carolinagirl said...

Wow! Great post! Love seeing the young KJ!