Saturday, January 31, 2009

Shit happens...

I apologize for the crude title, but dog poop is taking over the neighborhood and it's starting to infuriate me.

I remember when I lived in Michigan, where it could snow from October to April. Once May rolled around, I couldn't walk from my apartment to my car without gagging from the smell of dog doo. People were too lazy, or too cold, or didn't want to risk stepping in some other lazy dog-owners shit pile to pick up after their pets. The spring "shit thaw" reeked every year.

Now it's come down south and it's gross.

I fully admit that some of Bailey and Zoe's after-dark poops are left until the following morning or afternoon, because I definitely do not trust the nearby ground to be free of land mines for my unsuspecting shoes. However, I always make a sweep the following day. In fact, I often make a sweep with my pooper scooper once a week - picking up doggie droppings that I know do not belong to my pups. I'll spare you the details, but both Bailey and Zoe have very distinguishable droppings.

If I have TWO dogs, and I pick up 99% of their excrement, why can't my neighbors make the tiniest of efforts to help keep our neighborhood from smelling like a port-a-potty?! In fact I have been thanked, on more than one occasion, by passersby witnessing my clean-up efforts.

Without getting too graphic, I will concede that there are certain instances when "clean-up" is not possible. For example, poor Bailey has always had a rather sensitive stomach, so I have seen my fair share of distressing gastrointestinal episodes. THAT is excusable.

Walking your dog through my cul-de-sac to poop at will, without making an effort to remove the offense (repeatedly, mind you) is unforgivable.

I don't feel that picking up after my dogs is going above and beyond the call of duty - I think it is considerate and should be expected. Does anyone think I am being unreasonable?

And if you do think I'm being unreasonable, I invite you to take a stroll through my neighborhood. No nose plugs allowed.

3 comments:

samantha said...

Unfortunately it does still smell like shit up here come May!

Jane said...

You think you have it bad?! I DO live in Michigan, and Henry won't go within 10 feet of dog poop (SO opposite of Zoe!) so I have to do the neighborhood pickup just so my dog will do his business. Sometimes I wish the law required shit pickup!
Love the last line of this post by the way.

matt said...

poop sucks - but not as much as people who won't pick it up.