Friday, April 24, 2009

3 1/2 pounds - Hallelujah!

I took Bailey to the vet yesterday afternoon for his six-week weigh-in. I'd been telling myself for days that he certainly appeared to have gained some weight, but I knew that until I saw it on the scale with my own two eyes, I would be a nervous wreck. That was, indeed how I felt, right up until Bailey stepped on the scale.

I am happy to report that Bailey now weighs 43.4 pounds - 3.5 pounds more than just six weeks ago.

I got a message from my vet telling me, "Keep doing what you're doing - he's moving in the right direction, but of course we don't want him to get too fat!"

So, I will keep him on the amount of food he's been eating over the last six weeks. I'll probably slow down a bit on the treats, just to be sure I don't overdo it, as Norwegian Elkhounds are very susceptible to obesity. I don't want my old boy to get too big!

If I can get him back up to a solid 45 pounds and keep him there, I will be a very happy dog mama. Bailey is nearly 11 1/2-years-old. I'm hoping to keep him around for at least a few more years!

5 comments:

TinyRockerGrrl said...

Bailey just has *the* sweetest face. He looks like a wise little man. You're such a great 'dog momma'!! :) Throw him a doggy treat for me to help get him back up to 45 pounds! And give him and Zoe tons of kisses for me!

samantha said...

Yay for Bailey - I knew he'd be okay. Keep it up!

carolinagirl said...

I know you are so relieved. I know Bailey is going to be begging for those treats too! :) Good Job Bailey!!!

Chris and Mackenzie said...

Way to go! An Rx to eat (a little more anyway)...mmm. :)

Kathy said...

Bianca should be so lucky - a note from the doctor to GAIN weight? She takes after her momma and needs to lose a little. I'm so happy for Bailey. He's such a sweet dog and deserves more than his share of treats that his mommy made! Bianca says they are the yummiest.