Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Seven Pounds

I take after my sister-in-law a bit in that under certain circumstances I prefer to get the spoilers up front. For example, when a movie gets terrible reviews for the most part, I’d rather know what’s what before wasting my money.

After a great deal of searching (prior to the movie’s release) I found accurate spoilers for Seven Pounds. (I know they were accurate now that I've watched the film). After reading them I thought, “Why would I ever want to see that movie? That is ridiculous!”

Thanks to the genius invention of redbox, I felt that $1 was a very small price to pay to satisfy my curiosity. After all, I am a Will Smith fan. I watched and liked the film.

As I don’t want to give anything away, this will be very vague. Even if I weren’t a Will Smith fan, I’d like his character in this film. While the plot is a bit over-the-top, his character is very real, likeable and believable. The reasons behind his motivations are not explained in excruciating detail, but I found such explanation to be unnecessary.

Movies are movies, and meant to entertain. Seven Pounds does that, and depending on the viewer, it might just open a few eyes and hearts to what is the meaning of “good will.”

On the acting (IMO): Will Smith was far superior to Rosario Dawson. I love Barry Pepper, but his role was very small and I’d prefer to remember him as Private Daniel Jackson, the skilled sniper in Saving Private Ryan. Despite her seemingly insignificant role, my second-favorite actor in the movie was Fiona Hale as Inez. Her brief couple of minutes on-screen brought tears to my eyes.

I won't make a promise to anyone that this film will be a favorite, but I think it could become one to some. It is dramatic, entertaining and above all heartfelt.

A redbox dollar spent on Seven Pounds would be well worth your money and time.

2 comments:

carolinagirl said...

Thanks! We have not seen it, but it definitely sounds like a movie worth renting!

samantha said...

decent flick - solid B+