Thursday, April 16, 2009

A hint of a silver lining

I admit that I remembered the upcoming anniversary of the Columbine massacre only after watching an episode of Cold Case on Tuesday night which carried a very similar plot. I was overwhelmed with memories of the event - what I read and saw on TV in complete horror.

When I occasionally find news items and such covering that day, my emotions completely send me back ten years.

It is among the most horrific and sustaining memories of my life. Others include, but of course are not limited to:

•September 11, 2001: WTC

•March 4, 2005: death of my best friend's niece, 24-weeks-old, from recurrent pulmonary vein stenosis

•February 16, 2006: death of my best friend's 26-year-old brother, from diabetes-related complications

•April 24, 2007: death of dear friend Chris Reuther, at the hand of a stranger (blunt-force trauma)

•March 5, 2008: murder of Eve Marie Carson, UNC Student Body President

But getting back to Columbine, after reviewing the information online I came across a few organizations/sites that are doing a remarkable job at spreading the word that compassion, not violence, is the answer and hope is in sight.

Here are a few that might be of interest:

1. Rachel's Challenge: an organization who's mission is to reach as many people as possible with the message of kindness and compassion. Started by Darrell Scott, Rachel's father.

2. Crystal Woodman Miller | Marked for Life: Columbine survivor, now public-speaker and author.

3. April Showers Movie Blog: Follows the production, etc. of April Showers, a film directed by Columbine survivor Andrew Robinson. The film opens in limited venues on April 24, 2009, but will be available shortly afterwards on iTunes and via other online "pay-per-view" sites like Amazon.

3 comments:

samantha said...

Great post - albeit a little depressing, I definitely understand the "silver lining" part of it. :)

Jane said...

Good on ya, Trace, for posting this. It's hard to put yourself out there, but looking towards a brighter future is super-wonderful. I hope you can feel my support - I'm behind you! xoxo

matt said...

I cannot believe that you got no comments on your previous post OR THIS ONE. I might be a slacker blog reader but would never shun this one. Good post. Yes it's depressing (especially for those of us who care about you personally), but I appreciate your enthusiasm, your hope, your decision to look for the good in others. Tracey, I know you don't put trust in many people. I'm honored to know you've always trusted me. To the Death.