Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Approaching 10 years

I can't believe that we are less than a week shy of the 10-year anniversary of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold's rampage at Columbine High School.

I remember exactly where I was when I heard of the massacre. I'd recently moved into what I now refer to as "Satan's Lair," and was busy painting. My tiny 10" TV was suddenly flooded with crazy reports of a horrible school shooting. I was floored. Stunned. Dropped my paint brush and left a yellow stain on the carpet to commemorate the event (asshole owner deserved far worse than that).

I have since been touched by violence and loss that leaves me wondering if there is a remedy. I detest a defeatist attitude, but can't help but think that embracing one might be easier.

Has there been an improvement in violence prevention in schools? While I understand that another Columbine hasn't recently occurred, that doesn't mean it's not in the making. I couldn't guess what the best course of action would be, but something is wrong.

This post is not meant to judge anyone. I'm only voicing my frustration regarding REASONABLY available safety protocols.

I don't have children of my own, but my niece, Abby, tops my list of most important in my life. I think of her as safe every day, but when I recall nightmares like Columbine, I am rendered Auntie Worrywort. I anxiously await the day that Auntie Worrywort can take a vacation.

No comments: