Friday, March 20, 2009

Remembering Jax


Jax was the first dog I adopted on my own. I found him at the Orange County Animal Shelter, where his crate was labeled only, “K-9 Mix.” There were so many dogs barking, scratching and jumping to get my attention, but one little brindled boy sat calmly in his crate, shaking ever-so-slightly with excitement. I was intrigued and asked to be let into the cage to “meet” the dog whose name would be Jax.

I crouched down and put my hand out for him to sniff. He eased over slowly, and when he came within a paw-shake away from me, he lowered his eyes and put his paw on my knee. I was instantly in love. Jax came home with me on December 31, 1997.

I adopted eight-week-old Bailey in February of 1998. Jax was understandably apprehensive at first, but he and Bailey soon became the absolute best of friends. They were inseparable and even slept curled up around each other every single night.

Unfortunately when I began graduate school in 2000, I was also working at least two, sometimes four jobs on top of classes. I felt it unfair that I had so little time to spend with Jax and Bailey, but I knew I would never consider giving either dog up to just anybody. Enter my dear friend Mark, who I knew loved Jax.

My parents drove Jax down to Mark after a visit to Michigan in the fall of 2000. Bailey was depressed for weeks as was I. I felt horrible, but knew Jax would be happier with someone who could give him more attention. The silver-lining on the deal was that I knew I’d see Jax again, as Mark and I were, and still are, very good friends.

Each time I saw Jax afterwards, it was apparent that he remembered both Bailey and me. We enjoyed a few reunions before Jax left us (I have photos, but no way to scan them as they have been scrapbooked).

Apparently Jax was twice as old as I was told at the time of his adoption. Before that time, he had suffered major trauma that left harmful scarring and compacted his abdomen and surrounding organs, although he never showed signs of distress. This damage was made evident after Mark’s vet did an ultrasound. Mark put Jax to sleep in early 2003.

I keep the three photos posted here in a frame on a shelf in my bedroom. The far left and middle photos were taken when Jax first started showing signs of illness. The far right photo was taken hours before he was put down, hence the shaved belly. Mark and I exchanged photos - he sent me the three in the frame and I sent him several more humorous shots from happier times. I remain immensely grateful to Mark for loving Jax and caring for him through such a difficult time.

Bailey and I will never forget Jax, or how much Mark loved him!

4 comments:

TinyRockerGrrl said...

Oh you ass...making my eyes well up at work. Jax was such a sweet looking boy. I know he is truly missed. :(

samantha said...

Awwww! I remember little Jax's photos in your apartment. Of course you'll always miss him. I'm sure he's on the other side of the rainbow bridge, waiting to see his brother Bailey again one day. xoxo

Malena said...

Oh my, I am crying right now. Very touching memories and I can tell that you are an incredible person for having these bonds with animals.

Jeni said...

What a touching story. Dogs are just the best friends. Jax sounds like he was great. Thank you for sharing :)