Monday, November 17, 2008

1500+ participate in Eve Carson Memorial 5K

Jen and I drug ourselves out of bed very early (for us) on Saturday to participate in the Eve Carson Memorial 5K for Education. When we first arrived at Polk Place, the atmosphere was rather subdued, perhaps in part because of the early hour. I had expected there to be a gazillion people there, and there was, in due time.

After the initial frustration in response to our apparently "lost" registration forms and fees, we were allowed to collect a number and t-shirt and prepare for the 3.1 mile race (walk for Jen and I). I must admit I felt like a huge slacker, knowing that Todd and Maria were running a marathon the same morning. Oh well, we do what we can!

Just before the race, several people spoke a few words about Eve, and the Clef Hangers performed "Carolina in my Mind" (during which, much to my embarassment, my phone began to alert me of a new text message. Oops).

Heavy rain was predicted, but aside from a little humidity, the morning was relatively dry. Since I didn't work out as usual on Friday, I felt I needed to really "power-walk" the 5K, and Jen ended up pretty far behind me. As I was walking up Country Club Road, I heard a ringing and thought, "Someone's phone is ringing." Then I thought, "My leg is vibrating!" It was Jen, "I thought we were walking together!" I felt bad, but didn't slow down. Nevertheless, we both finished and we did it in honor of Eve!

Special thanks to Kathy for her monetary donation, which I had the pleasure of delivering on her behalf, to the Eve Marie Carson Junior-Year Merit Scholarship Fund.

3 comments:

Jeni said...

Awww you two are very sweet. I'm glad it didn't pour on you guys!

Jane said...

So glad to hear the turnout was fabulous. I would've joined if I could! From what I've read and heard, we'd all have been better off if we'd personally known Eve.
May she rest in peace.

samantha said...

As we say in Study Abroad lingo, "Good on ya!" Love it. You rock.