Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Birthday lunch at Mez

My wonderful EHP friends and colleagues took me to lunch at Mez today -- YUM! Kimberly, Mary, Kathy, Jen and Jeni all came out to celebrate with me, even though the official dreaded day is Saturday.

I'd only been to Mez for dinner, but I swear my lunch plate was much larger than my dinner plate! Today I had the Chicken Tinga Burrito Chipotle braised chicken wrapped in a warm flour tortilla with guacamole, black beans, green rice and tomatillo salsa. Served with Yucatecan slaw and roasted tomato-chipotle salsa, and we also got the guacamole appetizer (I could eat 5 pounds of that stuff)! My burrito was ENORMOUS and delicious (I just finished it off for dinner). Mez chicken is wonderfully fresh and tender - I've eaten chicken dishes on both occasions and it does not disappoint.

The restaurant is very modern, and I called our circular booth the "teacup booth" because it reminded me of those spinning teacup rides at county fairs (although tasteful). The table was rather large, making sharing the guacamole in the center of the table a bit of a challenge, but I loved the round table because I could see all of my friends and easily talk to them!

Best of all, the waitress brought me a birthday dessert - sans obnoxious clapping, cheesy singing and complete embarrassment - it was very dignified, and the dish even had a candle on top. The dessert was the "Tres Leches Cake," Mez's version of a Latin classic. Layers of sponge cake soaked in "three milks." Topped with meringue and candied almonds. It was wonderful, and I loved having a candle to blow out since I never get birthday cakes made for me anymore!

Thanks for celebrating with me, girls!

4 comments:

Jane said...

Wish I could've been there! I love you!

carolinagirl said...

Just two more days til your birthday! What are you going to do this year? I think you should write for a food magazine...great descriptions of the dish and restaurant...I now want a chicken burrito, and it is 8:41 am. :) Happy Thanksgiving, girlfriend!

TinyRockerGrrl said...

But of course! :)

And don't think I've forgotten about you..your present is coming Monday!

Jeni said...

Thanks for inviting me! Mez was yummy and I hope you had a great birthday!