Thursday, November 13, 2008

Advice needed from all you baby whisperers out there

I'm sending a desperate plea for advice. I have a goddaughter whom I babysit fairly regularly. I completely adore her - we're talking on the verge of worship here. When I come to visit in the presence of mommy and/or daddy, the child appears to adore me. She crawls to me, giggles, reaches for me and seems completely content in my presence. Sadly, when mommy leaves us alone the child wails incessantly, making me feel helpless, terrible and utterly lacking.

Kerry thinks this may be due in part to the fact that now that she is staying home, Sydney gets used to her presence and therefore becomes inconsolable in her absence. To tell you the truth, I don't really care why it happens, so long as I can figure out how to appease her. It breaks my heart to hear her wail like that.

For example, last night when I arrived Sydney seemed perfectly happy to see me. Kerry left, I fixed a snack for her (which she ate) and then all of a sudden: blood curdling screams, she reaches for the door, REAL tears, anguish, ie. PURE torture for me. I took her upstairs to the playroom and distracted her for a good 20-25 minutes. She was definitely enjoying herself, no question. Then again, all of a sudden, NOT HAPPY. Thought she might be hungry, WRONG. She didn't want the food I was told to feed her. She seemed only interested and intent on wishing Kerry's presence in the doorway. Poor thing. I really don't want her to hate me, but her happiness is far more important than my feelings!

Any suggestions? Secret solutions? I am all ears!

I feel I must say the usual sitting is not much more than an hour, and I'd rather spend time with Sydney screaming at me than to not spend time with her at all! Eagerly awaiting advice...

3 comments:

Jeni said...

It sounds like Sydney is suffering from separation anxiety. It's perfectly normal and it's definitely notthing you're doing so don't take it personally!!! There are some things that Kerry might be able to help (from what I've read). I don't know if this link will help or not: http://www.babycenter.com/0_separation-anxiety_12652.bc

Kathy said...

"This too shall pass."

samantha said...

I agree. Do not take this seemingly impassible barrier personally. She doesn't dislike you - she just hasn't adjusted well to the absence of mama and/or she doesn't see you enough. Visit that child more often (if you can) and I swear her tune will change. Good luck!