Thursday, November 20, 2008

The return of Mad Dog Max

I was so delighted to find that Max accompanied Jim to work yesterday. I've only seen him once or twice since he was a puppy, and he's such a charming dog. Jim says he's part Border Collie and maybe part Pointer. I think he looks a little like the dog in "Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior," which is said to be a Blue Heeler (or Australian Cattle Dog). He didn't come from a breeder, so I suppose he could be a Border Collie/Pointer/Blue Heeler mix, right? You be the judge. Photos of Max today (right), puppy Max (1st pic below), a Blue Heeler and an English Pointer (2nd photo below) are posted here.

Of course, just as in appearance, Max has a mix of behavioral traits. For example, the Border Collie is described as "though known to be reserved with strangers, these dogs can also be protective of a human family member and affectionate to those they know." I have almost never met a dog who didn't like me, but when I approached Jim's car alone, Max growled at me. As soon as he saw Jim arrive, he was as fun-loving as can be.


The Pointer likeness (to me) is a little off. While Max is a pretty congenial dog, he looks a bit different and seems a bit smaller in size than a Pointer, too.
The Border Collie size is right on, but Max's coat appears to be a bit off (Max's coat appears to be a bit short - this could be due to clipping). The same is true (coat discrepancy, but for color in this case) for the Australian Cattle Dog, although I think the breed standards are a bit hefty for Max's weight.


I'm happy labeling him as the perfect mix of doggie beauty and sweetness - and he has the WHITEST dog teeth I've ever seen. Jim gives credit for those to the pork bones he gives Max every day - lots of chewing! In any case, Max is another happy ending to a dog adoption story.

2 comments:

Jane said...

What a cute boy! Border Collies are such great dogs. I vote for Border Collie/Blue Heeler mix.

Best.O.Fortuna said...

I vote 1/2 BC and 1/2 ACD.

I think my dog is 1/2 ACD and 1/2 Pointer.