Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bailey's new "collar"


Poor Bailey. Norwegian Elkhounds are prone to "skin tags" and sebaceous cysts, and he gets them everywhere. Not all of them become bothersome, but many of them do. The cycle usually goes something like this: New cyst forms. The "tag" begins to itch or irritate Bailey. He licks and/or scratches it until it begins to bleed. One of every three of those becomes infected or just plain messy.

After one particularly messy and horrible infection (which involved a late night trip to the emergency vet), I was given an e-collar to keep Bailey from licking the wound. He absolutely hates that thing, and makes every effort to ram it into everything he can - the wall, furniture, me, the ground, etc.

So after my brother used the "ProCollar" on Casey, I decided that purchasing one for Bailey would be a wise investment (although these things are overpriced, and I had to get the largest size. Bailey is certainly not an "extra-large" dog, as he is only about 45 pounds).

The collar is a little large, but the way it attaches makes it almost impossible for him to get it off anyway. I by no means imagine he is enjoying wearing it, but he most certainly hates it far less than the standard plastic e-collar.

Because of the price (I paid $36.99 + tax), I would not recommend this to any pet owner who does not have a pet that frequently needs to be kept from licking/scratching. However, I do recommend this product to pet owners like myself, who have pets with chronic skin conditions, and or anyone who's pet would be required to wear an e-collar for longer than 6 weeks.

The ProCollar is available at Petco (although not my local Petco), PetSmart (where I bought mine), Drs. Foster and Smith and Amazon.

3 comments:

Jeni said...

Awww he looks so pitiful :( The collar does look comfy though. Please tell him that pregnant women are prone to skin tags too!

TinyRockerGrrl said...

If there is ever a flood, poor lil Bailey is prepared!! :)

I hope he feels better..he's still one of the most adorable little doggie-man ever!

carolinagirl said...

Poor guy! Hope he's on the mend soon!