Friday, November 14, 2008

Getting older...

Yesterday I was forced to accept (in one of many ways) that I am very quickly approaching the age of 35 - eek! With a birthday at the end of this month, a driver's license renewal was imminent. Remembering a few of my past visits to the DMV, I was a little apprehensive. Would I have to take some kind of test? Would my slightly failing vision be inadequate? Would the DMV, for some unknown reason, require a bunch of crazy forms of I.D.? Last but not least, would the office right by my house be closed when I arrived? (The office being closed was a last minute anxiety surge - it's a new office and therefore doesn't show up on the DMV finder, so when I checked at 3:30 p.m., I couldn't find the office hours. FYI for those nearby, they close at 4:30).

Thankfully, I arrived at the desk of a very sweet, very good-humored DMV employee. I say thankfully because I faltered on the vision test (partially his fault) and I didn't know two of the road signs (felt like an idiot). One of them was a warning sign with a picture of a truck going down a steep hill. Apparently that just means "hill." Stupid if you ask me. Both stupid for me not knowing, but also stupid for that being a sign for "hill." When I said I didn't know the sign, the wonderful DMV employee asked me, "What is the truck doing?" I replied, (duh) "Going down a hill." He said, "right!" like I'd just answered the winning question on the $100,000 Pyramid.

The other one I didn't know was the five-sided yellow sign (school zone). This one is scary. I admit I don't drive through many school zones regularly, but I also admit that such a sign is one I must've ignored long ago when I should've been given a HUGE ticket. Long story short, I was going about 58 mph in a school zone during official school hours and the police man who pulled me over was WAY too nice to me and just gave me a warning. I should've lost my license. If I knew the name of that Michigan police officer, I would leave him part of my life insurance.

So, I suppose one of the points of this post is represented by the following quote:

"It is what we learn after we know it all that really counts."

-John Wooden

3 comments:

matt said...

You're lucky -- most of those employees hate their job too much to be nice!!!

Kerry Burleigh said...

Good to know how things went as I will be heading over there soon too. Ugh!

samantha said...

Older, ha?! Whatever, youngster. Are you trying to make the rest of us feel ancient or what?!