Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Alma mater snapshots

On Saturday I had errands to run on Franklin Street, and just as I turned on Cameron Avenue to make my way home, I realized I had my camera and that I've been meaning to get some campus shots. So I turned around, parked in the exact same spot I'd been in and made my way towards the Old Well. I should mention that although I still remain clueless as to the campus events of the day, Franklin Street was packed. Johnny T-shirt was beyond annoying, and there were tons of people everywhere, especially at the Old Well. This became particularly annoying since it was one of the places I most desired to photograph.


I'm lucky I managed to get the photos posted here. (I used the poster edges filter in photoshop on the Old Well photos. The filter somewhat disguises my camera's lack of sophistication). There was a group of women loitering about that made me want to punch someone. I'm sure they weren't trying to be annoying, but they stood smack dab in the middle of the Old Well/South Building photo op area forever. Wouldn't budge. Gave directions to passersby - still right in my way - yes I know they were being helpful and I just wanted to take a photo, but it was freezing and all I wanted was ONE photo without people or cars in it! (White van in photo #2 couldn't be helped, it was parked there). I even tried to trespass on construction sites to gain access to fire escapes - no dice.



Next is the Silent Sam Civil War Monument. This monument was erected in 1913 as a monument to the 321 alumni of the University who died in the Civil War and all students who joined the Confederate Army. I also photographed the dedication, found on the left side of the monument.




The bench photographed in Sunday's post can be found alongside another in front of the South Building at McCorkle Place.



Although it was freezing, it was absolutely lovely - the perfect time of day in winter - around 3:15-4:30 pm. My time there reminded me that I live too close to campus to not spend more time there.

3 comments:

Jeni said...

You know it's funny. I never get tired of seeing photos of the old well. I like how you framed that first one!! And I can never drive into Chapel Hill without becoming completely annoyed with the horrible drivers on the road. What's up with that??

carolinagirl said...

Oh, that's just awesome! I love this post! I love all of your photos, and I even love the white van! :)

samantha said...

Oh I miss the Old Well so!
Love the pics - hope to get back there soon...