Friday, December 5, 2008

Paper Moon, Paper Life

I recently checked out Tatum O'Neal's biography, "A Paper Life" at the Durham County Library. While I knew the book would be an empty read (something like a trashy novel), I must admit being intrigued. Apparently, little Tatum was the youngest Oscar winner (at least as of the 1974 Academy Awards), and the movie (in which she co-starred with her father, Ryan O'Neal) lead her to a life of success, then ruin, then redemption. Although I included this post in my "book reviews" category, I've thus far only read up to page 87. If I like the book, I will post an actual review.

Before checking out the book, I had no idea that Tatum O'Neal won an Oscar, that she was formerly married to John McEnroe, or that she was in any way associated with Farrah Fawcett. Yes, I'd heard the name, but didn't care anything about her until I knew her as Maggie on "Rescue Me," where she is fabulous.

I must say, I am seriously considering renting "Paper Moon" at this point. Should one of the few who read this blog have an opinion of the film, please share.

Until I am further along, I remain irritated that she didn't write the book herself (some woman named Elisa Petrini interpreted her ramblings into a manuscript). However, I find the historical references believable enough to want to read further. Even if it is a piece of trash, I can't deny being entertained. Isn't that the point?

5 comments:

Malena said...

I loved Paper Moon, but it's been years since I saw it. Tatum is intriguing, I feel, in a trashy Hollywood way. Her kids have taken a beating though and I don't like that very much.
I LOVE love the ABC dress your mom made for you, and the photo of you as a little girl wearing it is so sweet!

carolinagirl said...

I didn't know anything about her either! Especially the Oscar part! Just googled her picture, and still don't remember much!!! :)

Jeni said...

Yes I agree the entire point of reading a book or watching a movie is to be entertained. My favorite trash book author is Jane Green. Easy reads and always entertaining!

Now you've got my interest sparked, perhaps I'll netflix Paper Moon.

TinyRockerGrrl said...

Jeni..have you read Greens' "Jemima J"? That's my favorite by her!

I really like Paper Moon but I saw it a few years back. I like that its in black and white. I wouldn't mind reading the book sometime in the future..I have so many to read now as it is. :) Enjoy it!

teg said...

Will check it out for you at the library (after I'm done reading it) if you'd like!