Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Too short for designer denim?

Most of us are...

I am not tall, but I am also not short. In my stocking feet I am 5'6, so in most of my shoes I am at least 5'7 (I almost never wear heels). I prefer my jeans and pants a little long, so I've always purchased those categorized as "long." Pants labeled "regular" are always too short, even if I'm barefoot. This makes sense, as the average American woman is 5'4, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.

Too bad all of my favorite brands of jeans do not come in multiple lengths - most of them are at least 34 inches long, usually longer. So what is a barely above average height girl to do? Of course the natural suggestion is to have the jeans hemmed, but that prospect can be quite terrifying when one considers the price paid for the jeans in the first place.

For more than a year, I only wore my most favorite jeans when I could also pair them with 2+ inch heels, and I HATE wearing heels. I'm a tennis shoes/Keen wearing girl who absolutely lives in flip flops in the summer. (If you haven't guessed, I've managed to hold down jobs at uniquely casual establishments - otherwise I'd be spending my meager cash on suits/skirts/business wear rather than jeans!)

So a few weeks ago I finally entrusted a couple pairs of my beloved jeans to a tailor labeled "best in the triangle since 1985." I was blown away - they did a wonderful job, they were quick and they only charged $10 per pair of jeans! I've since had three additional pairs hemmed. Now the proud owner of five fabulous pairs of 33" jeans, I took some photos of my latest pair, picked up last night, to show the tailor's lovely handiwork. (Yes, they keep the original hem). Note: Color differences in photos are due to lighting and my camera



Below, I tried to capture the hem in detail. I won't say that it's impossible when looking at this photo to tell that the hem has been altered, but I can say I feel confident that when the jeans are on my body, no normal person is going to get a close enough look at my hem to see a difference. In addition, they drape perfectly!



The last photo shows the hem as sewn from the inside of the jeans. I haven't studied exactly how they do it. As so accurately described by my friend Cristy, I just do my best to show them what I want, I sign the ticket and hope (a lot!) for the best. I've been super-pleased with their work thus far and will go back (still one more pair of jeans with a 35" hemline to go).



For locals, the tailor I used is Lee's Tailors at the Streets at Southpoint Mall in Durham. I recommend their services with the highest confidence!

2 comments:

carolinagirl said...

Ugh! I'm 5'2" - can you just imagine what buying jeans has been like for me? I've never had a pair hemmed!!! Some brands have 30" inseams which I need and then there are others that I have to wear heels with too, and I hate it! Maybe I'll try the hemming!!!

Jane said...

I'd apologize for being 5 ft 10 1/2, but I can promise you that there are plenty of inconveniences out there saved for those of us who are tall. For example, (at least in my opinion) the cutest shoes are always heels - making me taller than a lot of guys I'd like to date; those jeans you mention, that really are pretty pricey, are among the only ones I can wear AT ALL without looking like I'm preparing for a flood; and unfortunately I share your snobbery for taller men, although for me it is a lot harder to find a man taller than I am! Don't get me wrong, I don't hate my height enough to want to be as short as you! :) j/k, a little...