Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Daily Humor

A lot of people keep things at their desk that make them smile or laugh: pictures of loved ones, quotes, knick knacks, etc. When my assistant (I love reminding people that her name is Jennifer Garner) comes across a name that makes her laugh, she writes it on a post-it and puts it on her computer monitor. Since we work with authors from all over the world, she's found some downright hilarious ones. Keep in mind that some of these are only funny when mispronounced.

For example, I'm sure Dr. Takeshita should be pronounced (tä'k•ä•shē'•tä), but of course we pronounce it (tāk•a•shĭt•a). You get the idea.

Here are some more of our favorites. I'll let you use your imagination as to the pronunciation:

•Dr. Bizzarro
•Dr. Boobis
•Dr. Crapo
•Dr. Madhu Dikshit
•Dr. McWeeney
•Dr. Plopper
•Dr. Richard Wang (a.k.a. Dick Wang)
•Dr. Stanko
•Dr. Sitthichok Puangthongthub

I realize that our poking fun at strangers by butchering their names is a bit juvenile, but sometimes a little immaturity keeps the day-to-day a lot more tolerable!

In fact, I'll even be a good sport and share my two favorites for my name, as spoken by the security guards on-site. I'll preface this by saying that yes, they are reading my name from an online directory where it is spelled correctly.

My last name should be pronounced (glā'z•ě•nûr), but somehow Glazener becomes Glavenora and Glavinator (a.k.a. The Glavinator). Where did the "V" come from?

As you might imagine, I get a lot of "I'll be back!" jokes.

3 comments:

TinyRockerGrrl said...

Haha.. this post is LONG overdue! I agree with you 100% that sometimes a little juvenile humor makes the day a lot more bearable.

You left off one of your favorites though.. Dr. Jules Pretty!!

Jane said...

Excellent! Good use of the job for humor. I love it! Remember how much we used to die laughing at some of the names you came across in the study abroad office?!
I think my favorite is Dr. Boobis :)

Malena said...

Love this post! Thanks for making me smile!