Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My big fat Greek spaghetti

I got this recipe from my friend Shelly who is a gluten-free girl, but regular noodles can be substituted of course. I made this Sunday night and it turned out pretty well even though I lacked the oregano, left out the onion and substituted black olives for the kalamatas. It was SO easy to prepare and made a very minimal mess of my kitchen.

Sorry, unlike some of my other friends who blog about food, I have no photos.

Prep time: 7 minutes; Cook time: 15 minutes. The following should make 4 servings with a good possibility of leftovers.

10 oz GF spaghetti
2 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp oregano, chopped
1 tsp garlic (I added a little more)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
8 kalamata olives, pitted, halved
1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
4 tbsp lemon juice (I only used 3)
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
coarse salt and ground pepper to taste

Nutritional information per serving: 398 calories, 15 grams protein, 11 grams total fat, 5 grams fiber, 5 grams saturated fat, 62 grams carbs, 25 mgs cholesterol, 401 mgs sodium

In a large pot of boiling salted water, boil the noodles according to package directions. (I used spirals, really any kind of noodles will do although the recipe obviously calls for spaghetti). Drain.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oregano and garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, onion, olives, half of the parsley, and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes or until heated.

Add noodles and most of the cheese to the skillet; toss gently to combine. Remove skillet from heat.

Top with remaining cheese and parsley.

Shelly served this with broiled eggplant which was quite tasty! I made it and divided it up into batches for work lunches - no side dish included.

4 comments:

Jeni said...

I can't imagine what a gluten free lifestyle must be like. I'd be a sad gal. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Leftovers for lunch ROCK :)

LA and BD said...

Hi - I found you from Jeni at I Found Happy...the spaghetti sounds delicious even without any pictures! I enjoyed looked at the pics of your pups - they look like sweethearts! And, of course, I want to say GO 'HEELS! ~LA

carolinagirl said...

Too funny...I made homemade spaghetti tonight too! JC will be taking the leftovers tomorrow. :)

samantha said...

Sounds super yummy (as does Shelly's eggplant). I remember you NOT doing a lot of cooking, but when you did it was always out of this world. I miss it!