Sunday, February 22, 2009

Doggie drive-thru

On my way home from my aforementioned doggie duties over the last week+, I went through the drive-thru at Burger King to get a grilled chicken sandwich as a late lunch. With way too much stuff packed in my car (a lot of it has been there for weeks), I was forced to put Zoe's crate and Bailey both in the extreme rear of my CR-V.

Under such circumstances, Zoe is virtually blind - she can't see out of the car and can't see me - this is a recipe for disaster.

When Zoe barks (which is often for a marginally good reason), Bailey barks. The significant difference is that Bailey barks in no particular direction. In fact, he usually barks in the OPPOSITE direction of what causes Zoe's barking. He's sweet, but not the brightest bulb.

So, as I made my way through the drive-thru at BK, Zoe let out a few gruffs. Bailey followed suit with extremely loud barks, all as I'm trying to order. I laughed it off and pulled around to the payment window. I received a smile from window #1, where my payment was accepted, and pulled forth to window #2.

Bailey began to frantically bark. I turned around and asked him, "what's up with you?" as if he could understand me. Then I started to think, this is taking quite a while for one freakin' chicken sandwich.

Then the store window opened, and while I was expecting my food, a BK employee says, "Excuse me, but I'd like to ask you a question about your German Shepherd."

As soon as I heard "German Shepherd" I pretty much tuned him out. I vaguely remember the mention of alternative coloring (gray vs. black/brown). Maybe that makes me a dog snob, but despite others' misinterpretation of Bailey's breed, I can definitively state that he doesn't look, nor behave, in any way like a German Shepherd.

I politely waited before interrupting the BK employee to say,"he's not a German Shepherd, he's a Norwegian Elkhound." (Blank stare and "what?" look followed). Of course I'm thinking, can I just have my chicken sandwich and be on my way?



Be honest. Given the photos attached here (Bailey top left; random German Shepherd center at end of post) would you think Bailey is a German Shepherd?

Please keep in mind, too, that the average weight of a German Shepherd is between 62 and 95 lbs. Over the last 5 years, Bailey's weight has ranged between 42 and 48 pounds.

3 comments:

samantha said...

German Shepherd? Bailey? NO WAY!

Jeni said...

I can completely relate. I used to have Chinese Water Dragons and people always called them Iguanas.

And yeah, Bailey is way cuter then a German Shepard ;)

matt said...

German Shepherd? Maybe if you doubled his weight, dyed his hair, enlarged his ears and quadrupled his aggressiveness. Then MAYBE I could see German Shepherd. Actually, let me just say hell no.