Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Mighty Heart

Read the book, then saw the movie. For those interested in Daniel Pearl's story, I strongly recommend following the same path. Had I not read the book first, I would've found the film a little frustrating - it is a very fast-paced film, with several key players sharing similar names, if not multiple identities.

Not to take sides, but having seen the film I am convinced that Angelina Jolie was the far wiser choice to play Mariane Pearl. I like Jennifer Aniston, but she never could've done the role true justice.

I read the book and saw the film more than a year ago, but the story was recently brought back to mind because "A Mighty Heart" is currently playing on Showtime, so I watched it again Sunday.

As I said earlier, I can understand viewers who might not like the film if they have no prior knowledge of the history of the event. Maybe that's a poor excuse. But from the perspective of one who has read Mariane's book and followed the public record regarding Pearl's death, I can say that without a doubt "A Mighty Heart" is one of the most powerfully realistic accounts of a driven journalist's fate in a post 9/11 climate.

To be a journalist should not be a death sentence - regardless of to whom or where your voice reaches.

1 comment:

Jane said...

LOVED the book (as recommended by you months ago). My favorite character in the movie was the guy who played John Bussey. He was often awkward, but in the sweetest way. I do believe that despite the bitter tragedy of her husband's murder, Mariane learned that there are a handful of people out there whom she can count on to get her through. Good pick T!