Thursday, February 26, 2009

Join the millions who have chosen (RED)

If there are folks out there who haven't heard of (PRODUCT)RED, I must first wonder what rock you've been hiding under. Second I must suggest learning more about this highly successful business model that has raised millions for the Global Fund, specifically to fund African AIDS programs.

Essentially, (RED) partnered with several brands to create licensed (PRODUCT)RED products and services. Brand examples include Apple, American Express, GAP, Dell, Starbucks and several others.

The concept is easy: buy a (RED) product and you contribute to the fight against AIDS in Africa.

The Join (RED) site used to offer a calculator tool that allowed you to determine how much your purchases contribute to the fund, but unfortunately it appears to no longer be there. Nevertheless, I believe I've been a pretty good supporter. My (PRODUCT)RED purchases include:

• (1) ipod shuffle
• (5) t-shirts: one of which has the following printed on the inside hem, "This (PRODUCT)RED shirt = 2 weeks of AIDS medicine in Africa"
• at least 1/2 dozen Starbucks drinks

So, while I don't have a lot of spare change to throw at charities, (PRODUCT)RED has allowed me to contribute by other means: the ipod shuffle was a birthday gift for my best friend and most of the coffees were purchased using a gift card I received for Christmas.

Random side note about the t-shirts for those who are interested: I prefer boxier-fitting shirts (these days that means that my size 2 to 4 body requires an X-Large to be comfortable), so all but one of my (RED) shirts are men's shirts, size x-small or small. These are perfect, although I should mention that I have unusually long arms and rather broad shoulders. Regardless, these are the softest shirts you will ever wear.

I was inspired to write this post in support of (PRODUCT)RED after reading a letter from Bono, one of the co-founders of (PRODUCT)RED, on the (BLOG) RED site. Read the letter here.

If the letter doesn't inspire you to run out and buy (RED), maybe the following will:

• $13 provides one month of antiretroviral meds for one person
• $157 provides one year of antiretroviral meds for one person
• $40 provides 15 HIV rapid tests
• $26 covers the cost of providing medication to a pregnant woman to reduce the risk of transmission of HIV from mother to child
• thus far, more than 2,500,000 people have been impacted by HIV & AIDS programs supported by (RED) purchases

Bono's letter closes perfectly, "(RED) is not asking you to flock to the stores for the sake of it. But if you find yourselves browsing, we are asking you to choose (RED) where you can—for the sake of those who can’t ask you themselves."

No comments: