Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine dog treats

I followed through with my promise to Jeni and baked homemade doggie biscuits for my canine buddies as a Valentine's Day treat. The first few batches were enthusiastically approved by Emma, Bailey and Zoe.

I hope my many 4-legged friends will also enjoy my carefully prepared treats.



Super-easy recipe:

4 c flour (I used 2 cups white, 2 cups whole wheat flour)
3 c oatmeal
4 tbsp oil (I used canola oil and added a touch extra)
1 egg
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 c water
Bouillon cubes (I used 3 and boiled them in the 2 cups water in the microwave)

Mix ingredients. Directions I had did not call for any delay in cutting shapes in the dough. I, however, highly recommend chilling the dough for a bit before attempting cookie-cuttering :)

You will need flour for sprinkling on your "cookie-cutting" surface, as well as your rolling pin (if you're lucky enough to have one).
Bake for 1 hour at 300 degrees. After baking, remove to separate cookie sheet, wax paper, or foil. Allow to dry for at least 2 hours. Afterwards, store in ziploc bags.

Instant doggie delight is guaranteed - promised by Emma, Bailey and Zoe.

7 comments:

LA and BD said...

Oh, my dog is going to LOVE you for posting this recipe! Now I just gotta figure out if I have Valentine's cookie cutters...

teg said...

I found the mini cookie cutters I used at Kroger in their "season" section :)

carolinagirl said...

Thanks so much for the recipe! I have never made homemade doggie treats.
Happy V-Day to you!

Jane said...

Henry is drooling - gonna have to try out this recipe. Hope you and the pooches are enjoying your Valentine's Day!

samantha said...

You're such a great doggie mama, and those are the cutest little treats. I'll have to see if they still have the cutters at our Kroger. Hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day! Kisses to the pooches.

Jeni said...

Awesome!!! I'm so proud :) They look great. I wish I could tell you I made something for Valentine's too, but I didn't...I was a slacker!

Kathy said...

OMG - Bianca loves them. Ben thought they gave her gas at first but that was probably the broccoli he gave her for dinner that night since it didn't happen again. We swear she begs to "go out" so she can just pretend to walk in the yard and do something then come back in to get her "treat". She's got one more left today b/c we've used them sparingly - to her dismay - and I'll have to make more. Love the size b/c with her being so little (Maltese), I'm always afraid of weight gain from treats. She says to tell Bailey, Zoe, and Emma thanks for sharing.