Friday, May 1, 2009

Blooming color

I noticed a couple of days ago that my irises had bloomed, but I didn't have time to photograph them before yesterday. I planted the bulbs a few years ago and this year they produced their second round of blooms.

I got the bulbs from my "digging friend," Judy, at least that's what she calls herself. She gave me another type of iris bulb at the same time, but those haven't ever produced any flowers. They sprout green shoots every year, but no blooms.

Judy has given me so many wonderful plants from her yard. She also gave me a cutting from a hydrangea a couple of years ago. It was flourishing so nicely before it suddenly died. Sadly I never got any blooms on it.

My mom bought me a lantana plant back in 2005 that managed to become a perennial until this year. (You can see a bit of my lantana plant from last August on this post). I propagated several other plants from the original, but none of them appear to be coming back this year and I'm so bummed. I shared some with Judy, so maybe I'll have to get a new cutting back from her!

I love lantana. I can't believe it's thought of as a pesky weed in many parts of the country! It's such a pretty plant, especially in potted arrangements. I have the tri-color (yellow/orange/pink), and I'll keep hoping it makes a comeback before the summer arrives.

I have several pots that need to be emptied and replaced with new plants. Some of my favorites for pots are pansies, dianthus, marigolds, verbena and ivy.

My dad gave me a great book, "Container Gardening," by Paul Williams, that has some amazing arrangements in it. It also has a container plant directory complete with photos, great step-by-step instructions on how to pot and sections on how to choose healthy plants and appropriate containers. My favorite find from this book is Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens'. It is a hardy perennial, deep-black in color and fairly hard to find. The contrast of Nigrescens potted with brightly colored flowers is gorgeous.

The azaleas pictured are original to the house. I'm ashamed at how badly I've neglected my plants and lawn this spring, but these azaleas have always been a bit wild. I should do a better job of pruning them, but they seem to hang in regardless.


Back in 2006 I ripped out a few of the holly bushes that were originally planted in front of the house. I really don't like holly bushes. I always get poked when I prune them and mine tend to get moldy and no longer produce many berries.

I replaced the holly bushes with some additional azaleas, sedum and other colorful ground cover.

Unfortunately it's supposed to rain here this weekend and the following two weekends are pretty busy, but I hope to find some time to work in my yard soon. Happy gardening to all!

2 comments:

carolinagirl said...

hey girl!!! i didn't know you had a green thumb! i can't believe your lantana comes back - ours did in jacksonville - guess we are too far north here. i love it too! i do have verbena and lantana in my pots this year! my absolute fave every year tho is hibiscus!!!

have a great weekend!

Stephanie B. said...

I just planted some iris bulbs I got from Rita....hope they come in as purty as yours!