Monday, May 18, 2009

Slim Pickins

May is prime strawberry-picking month here in North Carolina, so that's when Maria and I try to plan our annual outing with Abby, in search of the satisfying "snap" one hears after picking the perfectly-ripe berry.

At Fuzzpa's (seen below, walking ahead of Abby) behest, we do our best to locate organic berry patches - especially since Abby tends to eat as many berries as she picks while on-site. We don't want her growing a third ear or an eleventh finger!

Saturday's outing was to Iseley Farm near Burlington. They were truly almost completely picked over, but anyone willing to venture beyond the wild muddy yonder was able to fill an ample berry bucket.


Abby was proud of her building bucket-o-berries:


I was quite taken with the resident Australian Shepherd, although I didn't catch its name. The dog was adopted from a shelter for the purpose of helping the owner herd cattle, but according to said owner the dog is terrified of cattle. Nevertheless, the friendly dog seemed quite content to roam the berry patches and enjoy the sun.


Photos from Abby's Sunday recital are coming, but as a preview, I offer the photo below. My lovely niece and my sweetest dog, Bailey, post-show of course.

3 comments:

TinyRockerGrrl said...

I swear Bailey is smiling!!!

Malena said...

Wow - strawberry season already almost over?!?!? I gotta get online and find some organic patches around here too. Although we grow our own in my mind I have this fantasy of seeing my children skipping down a berry patch with buckets spilling over, and their faces and clothes stained from berry juices. Abby's so cute - and I LOVE her top on the last photo. Stylish!

I am grinning a little, having read your comment about Breaking Dawn, see I thought it was just me feeling not so sure about that book. I mean, I was so happy that it ended the way it did, but the majority of that book was a little bit too much for me. I think I will re-read the other books before the end of the summer though...I enjoyed my crush! :)

samantha said...

Strawberries - yum! Sounds like you got your share - slim pickins or not :)
Love the shot of Bailey. TinyRockerGrrl is right - he IS smiling!