Friday, May 29, 2009

Unexpected memories

So I had one of those “oh my – why won’t my brain work” moments yesterday and it made me really sad, although I hope my sadness wasn’t noted (I don’t think it was).

My assistant and dear friend Jen and I had just returned from grabbing coffee at Starbucks and as soon as I put my car in park it started to pour down rain. Therefore, we decided to wait it out for a few minutes in the car. This lead to us discussing the upcoming company outing, for which we were offered three choices upon which to vote. This in turn lead to our discussing one of our past outings to Frankie’s Fun Park in Raleigh – one which Jen did not get to attend. Jen said, “I bet Chris Reuther was such a cute spaz at that place.”

As soon as she said it, I was dumbstruck and the first thing out of my mouth was, “Was he alive?” The answer that followed didn’t matter. I was immediately heartbroken.

Chris was in fact with us on that mystery trip, and I instantly remembered giving him my remaining tokens before I left for the evening. His face lit up like I’d just given him a million dollars. He was indeed an adorable spaz – an adorable spaz who knew how to have a good time and was a delight to watch doing so.

I miss him. We all really miss him. Sometimes the memory of him is extremely painful, but sometimes those memories make me laugh almost to the point of tears - happy tears.

It’s been just over two years since Chris was taken from us. I really hope he somehow knows how much he is missed!

2 comments:

ecodweeb said...

I remember when Mark told me the family that is EHP had suffered a loss. I wish I could have known this charismatic man, he has never been photographed without a smile on his face.

samantha said...

Great photo of Chris, Trace.
I hope your memories become more happy than sad. It's strange how they creep up on you unexpectedly isn't it?