Saturday, May 2, 2009

Oh pollen, how I loathe thy presence

I developed distinct allergy symptoms at age 23. While I remain uncertain as to what, exactly, is the main offender, I can only imagine that pollen is not a friend to my sinuses. Dogs may be a contributing factor, but I will never be without a dog by choice!

As my brother noted last weekend when he was here, we are not lacking in the evil yellow dusty particulates - especially on UNC campus. When we get a lot of rain, my driveway becomes a yellow river. Yuck.

On most days I look like I'm stoned. On the worst days I look like I'm a stoner who spent the entire night before crying. My eyes water like leaky faucets.

For the last few days I've been taking Claritin RediTabs, which have provided mild relief. I've also been occasionally using Afrin Pure Sea Nasal Mist, which seems to temporarily reduce my need for kleenex. I have an air purifier in my bedroom that seems to help, but it tends to dry out my nose.

Anybody have an allergy cure they swear by? Are prescription drugs the only real cure? Any ideas as to why my left eye waters 10 times more than my right?

ARGH! I hate allergies.

2 comments:

carolinagirl said...

Well, I feel compelled to comment! :) Short of allergy shots, you are doing about the best you can do. Antihistamines are our #1 defense short of avoiding exposure! Ha! Different drugs are out - some by prescription only. Zyrtec and Claritin are over the counter. If Claritin is not working well, you could try Zyrtec to see if it works better for you. I'd try this before going to the dr. Also, Benadryl is still our best antihistamine for effectiveness but the worst for side effects (extreme drowsiness). If you can remember, take a Claritin in the am and a Benadryl right before going to bed. You will probably overload your receptors, but until some of this pollen clears out it's the best suggestion I have.

Hope that helps ya!!!

Hang in there - not much longer.
Tree pollen is the WORST for me...I've been taking my generic Claritin for about 3 weeks now with average relief!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, so sorry you did not escape the family allergy curse! Marcia has had more problems than I this year but I have had my seasons for sure. Zyrtec works best for me and if things get really bad I take Singular for awhile, but I can't take it routinely because it causes neuro side effects if I do. Funny, it's my left eye that tears all the time just like Grandmommies, wonder what that is all about?! Hang in there it only seems like Spring lasts forever!

Monalynn