Friday, June 26, 2009

Farewell to the Thriller

I was shocked to learn last night that Michael Jackson passed away yesterday from what is believed to be cardiac arrest. At the risk of giving away my age, I must say that Michael was the biggest thing going when I was growing up. I still remember watching him collect eight awards at the 1984 Grammys. I didn't necessarily have a crush on him, (at least not compared to the celebrity crush I once had on Joe Smith or the one I continue to have on Kip Pardue) but I certainly remember thinking he was pretty bad ass.

The music video for Thriller was a huge deal when it came out in 1983. Seriously, I think it was the coolest thing ever (at the time).

From wikipedia: "Michael Jackson's Thriller is a 13-minute music video for the song of the same name released on December 2, 1983 and directed by John Landis who also co-wrote the screenplay with Jackson. The mini-film music video was broadcast on MTV three weeks before Christmas 1983. It was the most expensive video of its time, costing US$500,000, and Guinness World Records listed it in 2006 as the 'most successful music video', selling over 9 million units."

It's crazy when one considers how paltry a $500,000 budget would be today.

The Thriller video remains an historical icon that endures despite the fact that its now somewhat cheesy special effects have been trumped many times over. In fact, the purchase of said video was one of my first from iTunes after receiving my ipod for Christmas in 2006.

I can't say I followed Jackson's life much over the last 10 years or so. He'd gotten way too weird by then and in no way resembled the man I admired when I was a child. Therefore, I have no comment on his recent past, but I wanted to list my top 10 favorite Michael Jackson songs in his honor. The following are not necessarily in order of preference:

==========================
• Thriller

• Smooth Criminal

• Billie Jean

• Man in the Mirror

• The Way You Make Me Feel

• P.Y.T.

• Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'

• Human Nature

• Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

• I Want You Back (Jackson 5)
==========================

R.I.P. Mr. Jackson. You certainly made history!

3 comments:

samantha said...

Jennifer Garner's re-enactment of the Thriller dance in 13 going on 30 was a fabulous tribute! :)

Jane said...

Long LIVE Thriller! (And I must say, just to rub your face in it my dear OLD friend, that yes, I think I was born the year AFTER that video came out).
I love to tease you Trace, but I hope you know you're more beautiful than most girls 15 years younger than you are - and the older ones, too. :)

teg said...

Janey: your false positives - while certainly false - are appreciated. You're a beautiful girl and friend!