Monday, June 1, 2009

You're not a nobody. You're a somebody.

I broke down and ordered How to Be from TWC on demand Friday night and I’m so glad I did.

In response to the one negative reviewer on IMDB, I would have to say that I am indeed a fan of the Twilight books, but I wasn’t a fan of Twilight the movie until I watched the version with the commentary by Catherine Hardwicke, Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson. I guess what I mean is that I’m not in awe of the on-screen Edward Cullen so much as tickled by how funny Pattinson can be when he’s off camera and amongst friends.

Yes, there are Pattinson fans out there that will watch How to Be just to see him, but it’s not fair to lump us all in a “Twilight-fan-obsessed-frenzy” and say that’s the only reason someone would enjoy How to Be.

I can easily see why viewers of How to Be will laugh out loud. It’s a quirky, cute, endearing and yes, funny film. Art is a painfully depressed misfit with whom many individuals can surely identify.

Young adults between the ages of 19 and 24 are often in the most volatile stages of their lives - especially when it comes to career choices. I should know, I feel like I still haven't made a real career choice even though I've got two degrees and I'm way past 24-years-old.

I included a photo of the poster above because my job/life also makes me feel like throwing my head down a hole quite often.

Art's self pep-talk before the ending scene is PRICELESS, especially his little fist-bump to the mirror. There are a LOT of kids out there who could benefit from seeing something like that. You're not a nobody. You're a somebody.
A little self-esteem goes a long way!

There are far more people out there like Art than Edward (from Twilight) and I'm fairly certain I'd prefer the former to the latter.

Two of my other favorite indie films are Irréversible and Loggerheads. Indies are great - I often enjoy them far more than any studio blockbuster. How to Be is a new indie favorite for me.

1 comment:

samantha said...

Who's your die hard indie movie partner? YES - it's me! And yes, I loved this film - super cute. I loved Ronny.
Are we gonna have a jam on Tuesday? have a jam on Tuesday? should we have a jam on Tuesday?
Yes, I LOVED Ronny.