Thursday, June 11, 2009

Zoe is on the pill again

The pill I'm referring to is Trimeprazine with Prednisolone. It seems Zoe is just as much a victim of allergies as I am.

While she hasn't had an episode for more than a year, she woke me up very early Wednesday morning by pawing at my face while she struggled for breath. I'm sure I would've been far more panicked had she not had the same reaction in previous years.

I suppose I should've suspected an oncoming problem as the symptoms of atopy/inhalant allergies in dogs include the following: excessive chewing, licking and scratching at the face, paws, abdomen, armpits and genital area. Over the last week or so I've constantly admonished Zoe for perpetual licking and biting - get a clue mom, right? I feel terrible.

My understanding employers allowed me to spend almost the entire day at home with Zoe, and I will be able to do the same today as Thursday is my usual telecommute day. Zoe is far more comfortable - especially when ill - if I am home with her.

Still, I must admit that I often wonder if she wishes for illness that requires meds in pill form because that means baby food for Zoe. Her mouth is too small for me to get a good angle at forcing a pill down her throat (I can do it to Bailey although I prefer not to), so the pills must be pulverized with a mortar and pestle and then mixed into baby food for Zoe's consumption.

Her "happy Zoe dance" prior to receiving baby food is priceless. If I had a capable video camera I would certainly record it, but instead I'll give it a brief description. Imagine a tiny terrier, dancing on only her back feet for 2 to 4 minutes straight with tiny hops interspersed between the steps. The front paws never touch the floor.

2 comments:

carolinagirl said...

I hope the meds work!!! Poor Zoe!

samantha said...

Get well soon Zo Zo! xoxo