Thursday, June 18, 2009

New (old) favorites

As I believe I've reported before, until recently I've had no cd player (or ipod connectivity, etc) in my car since the fall of 2003. Therefore most of my cds have been collecting dust up until I installed my new stereo a few weeks ago. And yes, I was still listening to music during that time, just not as much and only from an ipod.

I hadn't listened to Lori Amey's Nothing to Say album in so long that I'd forgotten how much I adore it. Flawless guitar skills and the voice of an angel - that is Lori Amey.

Lori is a dear friend of one of my former co-workers from Michigan State University. She plays the guitar on all of the tracks on Nothing to Say and sings the songs solo - all of which she wrote herself.

I had the pleasure of meeting Lori before I left Michigan for good and she is a delightfully modest and gracious artist. I do hope she continues to put music out there.

Her site hasn't been updated in a few years (or so it appears), but you can still find out a little bit about her on loriamey.com. Her 2005 album This Little Illusion is available on iTunes.

My favorite tracks on Nothing to Say are "Heal" and "Nothing to Say."

Another old and new favorite is Barrett Smith's Solo Guitar. BEAUTIFUL guitar - no lyrics - just guitar and nothing else. I LOVE it. Barrett is a friend of an ex-boyfriend of mine. At least I got Barrett's cd out of that relationship! :)

Check out Barrett's site here where you can listen to samples if you're so inclined.

If you check either of them out let me know what you think!

No comments: