Thursday, June 4, 2009

Fuzzpa in the house

My dad, better known as Fuzzpa to my niece Abby, arrived last night for a three day stay. He's attending some kind of dentistry seminar at UNC. I think this is the third year that he's stayed with me for this reason, and I hate to admit that there is a certain amount of dread that accompanies thoughts of spending more than 24 hours with him.

You see, we are VERY similar - I am very much my father's daughter - and I think our similar personalities often butt heads (HARD) and that creates a dangerous dynamic. Our arguments are never anything less than violently intense.

It hasn't been so bad in the last two years or so, but I always have that dread in the back of my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my dad SO much, likely more than anybody else in my life because I know he loves me more than anyone else ever could.

He's always been my biggest fan, greatest source of support and the one person (other than Kerry) whom I have always been able to count on no matter what. For those reasons, I accept the occasional tiff, no matter how bad, and always eventually move on because he is my dad and he is fabulous.

3 comments:

Jeni said...

Aw Tracey, I hope it's smooth sailing and you two have nice, low-key time together.

samantha said...

Hope you have fun with your dad, Trace. I remember you missing your parents when you lived here, so enjoy your time together! xoxo

Kerry Burleigh said...

Great picture of your dad, by the way. I am sure he'll be spending time at Weaver Street and such too. And, I completely understand the tension and am so proud of you both for getting through things anyway. Just proves the love is strong!