Sunday, October 26, 2008

Heels 45, Eagles 24

Due to Monday's dog attack, yesterday's game was attended by Todd, dad and myself. Having dad along was a lot of fun, although I'm not sure if he really enjoyed himself. I have no idea how long it had been since dad had attended a live football game. When I asked mom about it, she said it had been years, and I was not surprised. I would have LOVED it if she could've come with us, too. That would have made the day a full-on, full-blooded Glazener event! But mom had her hands full, so the diversion wasn't manageable.

Anyway, despite the on and off rain, our usual Tar Heel fan neighbors with seats behind us came to the game. (I find it rather hilarious that none of us know the names of the adults, only the children). Taylor (4-5 yr old) brought a card that she made for Abby, and the look on her face when I told her Abby hadn't come to the game was priceless, yet heartbreaking.

Her sister Riley (who slept through most of the Notre Dame game) was NOT a happy girl yesterday. She wailed and wailed. Since Todd and I were listening to Woody via radio (and therefore our ears were plugged with headphones), we didn't really notice or care. But poor dad couldn't help but repeatedly turn around, glancing at said child and her parents, wondering when the screaming might stop. I wanted to grab him and say, "Hey, Abby's been a pain before, too," but I let it go because I think our rear neighbors already knew that we accept their children's kicks, bumps and screams unconditionally.

So, the game started out rough. I was beside myself, not even able to blame the weather for the UNC flubs. But then the Heels came back, and with a vengeance! Marvin Austin made a tackle that would make the best of all coaches proud. Casey Barth kicked a perfect game. Cameron Sexton threw for 238 yards, and Hakeem Nicks had eight catches for 139 yards and three touchdowns.

But then Nicks added a fourth touchdown in the fourth quarter, making him the first Tar Heel to score four touchdowns in a game since Ronnie McGill scored four times against Furman in 2006. Like I said, exciting stuff!

The photo was taken on the drive home. As I've said many time before, my camera is very unsophisticated, but I was also dealing with my dad's maneuvering through stop-and-go traffic. Anyway, there was a pretty nice rainbow stretched over Meadowmont.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Nice rainbow photo! Too bad you didn't have a view without the traffic lights...ha ha...