Saturday, October 11, 2008

My one-of-a-kind handbag

In May of this year, I traveled to Michigan to visit my dear friends Jodi and Kelly in Lansing. As a treat to ourselves, Jodi and I scheduled facials at the Douglas J Aveda Institute in East Lansing on Grand River Avenue. What a choice idea – it was fabulously indulgent. But the point of this “cool stuff” post is my bag.

While Jodi and I waited our turn to be pampered, we checked out the merchandise at the front of the store. They had a coat rack filled with odd-looking bags that drew both Jodi’s and my attention. Upon closer examination, not only did we find that they were on sale (50% off!), but that they were super-cool bags, each completely unique, made from recycled billboards. We both immediately committed to purchasing one.



In the grand scheme of things, I wouldn’t care too much for this bag: there is only one pocket (which is a flat one sewn to the inside panel that doesn’t securely hold anything) and there is no way to close the bag at the top (no snap or zip). But on top of the cool points gained by being one-of-a-kind, this bag is also my choice when attending certain events, like UNC football games.

The bag is basically vinyl, so you can wipe anything off of it. I can put it on the floor anywhere and not worry about what it might pick up since I can wipe it down with Clorox wipes when I get home! Since I am a self-admitted class-A germaphobe, this perk is KEY to my love of this bag. As an item born of re-use, it gets an automatic thumbs up from me! If you’re interested, you can find more information about these bags at the Relan web site.

FYI: Approximate dimensions of my bag are 11" wide x 13.5" tall, 4" depth (unstretched). the straps (if held up rigidly) measure 11" from shoulder to the top of the bag.

1 comment:

SMA said...

Is it a Vy & Elle bag or something like that? I have one of their bags made of billboard vinyl scraps. It's been a good little bag. Looks totally different from yours. I dig it (yours & mine).
Hey- mine was half price, too, and purchased a couple of years ago when I still had money to spend on myself!