Monday, October 13, 2008

The Stewarts come to Durham

Kile, Brent, Charlotte and Max were in town this past weekend, and despite a busy schedule for all of us, we managed to spend a decent amount of time together. On Saturday after the UNC game, I went to the Washington Duke Inn for a nightcap. I was so excited to find Charlotte and Max still awake when I arrived! Since I failed to get a photo taken with Kile when I visited her in September, I was determined to get one this visit.

The photo below was actually taken by Charlotte. Pretty good for a three-year-old, don't you think?



I believe the next one was taken by Brent, who probably couldn't wait for me to go home as he was half-sleeping the entire time I was there. Sorry Brent! Kile was doing her best to get Max to look at the camera.



The next was taken by Kile. I'm not sure what exactly Charlotte was doing here. Some kind of fabulous pose...



Last but not least for the photos, we have Max! The most super cute of the cuties. He is so photogenic and an angel to boot. He had a rough night, but managed to keep a smile on his face for almost the entire time.



After our late night catch up session, we met for Sunday brunch at Watt's Grocery. I'd never been there, but it came up as one of the top places for brunch in the area when I searched, and my friend Jeni had also recommended the food. The meal was absolutely delicious and perfectly portioned, but as Jeni indicated, the service was slightly lacking. In addition to being slow, I found our server to be a bit of a smart ass, and inappropriately so, but whatever.

I enjoyed the Huevos Rancheros: Local corn tortillas topped with red beans, sliced avocados, two fried eggs, salsa verde and served with pico de gallo. Kile ordered the same (but with the jalapeños) and we were both pleased with our selection.

As Kile suggested after our experience Sunday morning, if you have plans to have brunch at WG, get there early. They open at 11:00 a.m. Kile and family arrived at 10:45 and there was already a line. I believe they were seated at about 11:15. Thank goodness I'd called her to tell her what I wanted to eat (I was running late as usual) because had I not, our food might not have reached our table before 12:15.

Since I hate being harassed by waitstaff throughout my entire dining experience, I will say that I enjoyed an almost completely "interruption-free" meal. While our guy could've been a bit more attentive (in a silent manner: filling glasses, bringing our check) I appreciated his not checking in on us every 5 minutes. But nobody's perfect, and Kile and I both agreed that we want to return to WG for another meal!

Can't wait to see you again next weekend Kile!

No comments: