Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What took me so long?

Last night after work I visited the Parkwood Branch of the Durham County Library and received my very own library card. I don't think I've had a library card (other than my student IDs at UNC and MSU that served as my "library cards" while in school) since I was a little girl in Lewisville, and even then it was likely my mom's instead of mine. I vaguely remember such a card as being a flimsy, uncoated card with our name hand-written on one side. The card may have been yellow, beyond that I don't remember.

My new card is plastic like a credit card and has a bar code on it. My name does not appear on the card, other than my signature, which is almost completely illegible anyway.

I went to the library looking for a book suggested by my friend Shelly. When I told her I couldn't find said book in the Barnes & Noble, she told me she'd checked it out at her local library (thanks Shelly)! I can't believe it had never occurred to me to get a library card rather than throw money away on books, especially since I have read maybe one or two books more than once in my entire life.

I was pleased to find the suggested book, as well as another I found online that peaked my interest. I then browsed the fiction sections and looked for (but never found) the supposed DVD section. The Parkwood Branch is not the most complete collection of books, but there are two other branches close to my house, one of which is the Main Library.

I found and checked out "What Was She Thinking? [Notes on a Scandal]" by Zoë Heller and began reading it after I walked the doggies. I finished the book before going to bed - obviously it kept me entertained. Having seen the movie, "Notes on a Scandal," there was little left to the imagination, but I enjoyed the story even more because the main characters were already visually created for me via the film (Cate Blanchett as Sheba Hart and Judi Dench as Barbara Covett).

Now I can't wait to go back and check out more books that have been on my "want to read" list for months! I'm going to try to make myself wait until I've had time to read the other two books I checked out - both which I suspect will be far less entertaining as they are non-fiction books relating to allergies and other health issues - before grabbing another page-turner.

Any books to recommend? Please let me know!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

I need to get a Durham library card too! I haven't yet gone to the one on Main, but you've motivated me to look!

SMA said...

I love the library! I'm glad you have a card now. I bet you can even get one that goes on your key chain. And, they have CDs there, too. Check out some new tunes next time.